Monday, August 2, 2010

My First Blog

I have been contemplating blogging for such a long time, I waited until the week before I have to go back to work to start. Better late than never, right?

The main reason I decided to blog was from an idea I got from Family Fun magazine. This is one of my favorite magazines--pretty close in the running are Runner's World and anything by Taste of Home --so when I read the idea, I jumped on it. Unfortunately, that was last April...

The idea suggested that I buy three color-coded notebooks, one for each child. Then, at the end of the day, week or month, fill each one with individual stories of each child. The theory is that these would be sacred memoirs for the kids as they grew up and it would commemorate everyday memories that photo albums (or the awesome scrapbooks that my mom does for each of my kids) might not indicate. So, I bought these and placed them in the night stand next to my bed, along with a writing utensil and I began on this mission.

Well, that was 15 months ago and there are two entries in each of the kids' books. The problem is, about 99 nights out of 100, I fall asleep while putting the children to sleep. I am way too tired to do anything but sleep once 10:00 rolls around. When Top Chef is on, I have to give it my 50% attention (the other 50% is getting drinks, snacks, toothbrushes, blankets, pillows and "purple babies") so I can't do it then. And, during the academic year, I am grading papers, prepping lectures and posting grades. Why am I so tired, you might ask? Aside from God, my kids, my husband, and my family, #5 priority is running. I wake up most mornings well before the crack of dawn. I sleep so I can run at that crazy time and that seems to take priority over the journals.

My blog will be about my family, my job, and my running. I am training for a 40 mile run to celebrate my 40 years so I have to juggle that with my work, family, kids, and now, my blog.

So, why do I think I will blog instead of writing it down...I am not sure. But, since I have rambled on this long, I don't think it will be a problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment